[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NO SUBJECT

Date: 01/29/96  Time: 16:49:42
 To: MNETIN  --CORCS

 From: Al
 Subject: Re: NO SUBJECT                                   INTERNET:W024682
 Well, you certainly seem to be on the receiving end from all sides. When I
 wrote my original note, you thought I was a right-winger. Apparently, they're
 mad at you because you are not strident enough. I guess they want you to be
 more uncompromising in your views. (Just like they are) I hate to say it, but
 I think I know what the attraction of fundamentalism is. It's a license not to
 think or question. All you have to do is blindly follow. Even if you're wrong,
 it won't matter, All you have to say is that you are not to blame. A person is
 (in his/her mind) essentially absolved of all responsibility for his actions.
 And that isn't all. There are no messy moral dilemmas to struggle with.
 There is no need to pick up a book on philosophy and compare relativism with
 absoluteism. What great comfort! On the other side, there are people like me
 who believe that the literal interpretation of a metaphoric image is a
 monstrous abberation that has been perpetuated by self-serving people who
 either don't realize it or just don't care. As long as they have their
 power, all is right with the world. If Jesus was here today, I belive he
 would be appalled at what IS being done and said in his name. He might ask,
 "Why are you worshipping me and allowing my message to be lost in the din
 of voices shouting my name?" How sad. So, here you are caught in an unenviable
 crossfire and assailed by both sides. Is it worth it?

 *** Reply to note of 01/26/96 17:49