[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hello Friend

Hello Friend,
And I do believe you are a friend!  I've spent most of the day trying to track
down a way to contact the Church of the Savior. They don't seem to be listed
in the telephone directory under that name, and I couldn't find them anywhere
else.  Then I hopped on the Web and found your page, with not only info about
COS, but also your own personal conviction that somehow "church" ought to look
a little different.

That's exactly why I was trying to contact COS myself!

I work for the (Christ-centered) Quaker denomination in the Northwest.  For
the last ten years I have been investing myself in the lives of our youth,
doing my best to set up repeated opportunities for them to have mystical
encounters with the Living Christ.  And God has been faithful to meet with us!

What is now happening is that these kids are growing up and looking around
them for similar opportunities in their local churches, or ways they can apply
their spiritual intimacy to church leadership.  And, alas, most of our
churches are pretty mainline and traditional in format.  So there is a growing
frustration.

Thankfully, our churches and leadership have always been supportive of youth
and young adults, and so are now open to considering how we might begin some
new churches or fellowships that will give our young adults the spiritual
opportunities they need.  So we are trying to get a grasp on what a "new kind"
of church might look like, what a culturally relevant worship fellowship might
be.  (Way beyond just the "contemporary music" debate!)

Do you know who would be a good contact person for me to find out about the
actual structure and supervisory roles in the COS?  How do they create new
ministry groups? Do they ever come together for worship as a full body?  What
are their requirements for membership?  What frustrations have they had with
annual renewals?  Have they ever tried to "plant" another similar
congregation?

It is exciting for me to be in a position of seeing our denomination willing
to try new things and follow the leadership of their youth and young adults.
"Deeper spiritual intimacy" is our cry!

Well met, friend!
Bruce Bishop
bbishop@foxmail.gfc.edu