[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Great Web Site!!!

Dale,

>Yes.   I get a lot of flack from some of my "fundamentalist" correspondence
>about "accepting" too much "secular stuff"...

;-) I can imagine!!!

> I do have the feeling that
>electronic text is so much like what I think the Biblical writers were
>trying to "squeeze" into written ,  linear text.  In fact,  I have a
>theology professor who says that the Bible is text that "tries to be
>hypertext" or "wants to be hypertext".

Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. O.k. ;-)  I think that this is
anachronistic. I would say that the oral context of the biblical "writers"
(they were certainly NOT writers in our modern sense of the word!!!)
exhibited certain dynamics that reappear in electronic media. (Fowler and
Boomershine have picked up on this.) Indeed, this is also true with respect
to the development of textuality. (Cross-referencing systems present a form
of "proto-hypertext".) I think it would be more accurate to say that certain
forms of intertextual hermeneutics (that have become extremely popular in
the late age of print) wants the bible to be a hypertext.

Of course, I may be getting too caught up in diachronic analysis. Perhaps
the point is that for postmoderns the bible is indeed a text that wants to
be a hypertext!

>>You're doing some interesting things. If you can think of ways that we can
>serve each other, just let me know.
>
>I'll keep checking the link I have to you,  and you do the same,  and I'm
>sure there will be several instances of "Oh yes,  I have seen such and such
>or feel that such and such.......and the Web will have yet another strand.

Sounds great!

>Thanks for writing back.  HOpe I'll talk to you again soon.

No doubt!

Over and out (for tonight). Back to my research!

Todd

Todd Blayone (chorus@peinet.pe.ca) Project Coordinator, Chorus
Ph.D. Candidate, McGill University
WWW home: http://www.chorus.cycor.ca/People/Todd_B/toddhome.html