[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

deep ecumenism,etc

        Thanks a great deal for your communication yesterday. I am grateful
that you understood what I was feebly trying to say. It is hard to share my
feelings for all of this when I am so excited about it, and yet feel
isolated. Reading that the latest aspect centers around a new community
dedicated to the principles of awe and celebration, and based on practices
from all over the globe helps me when I get depressed about the violence
which seems to be spreading which is based on religious and ethnic hatreds.
It would seem that the need to share and understand would be obvious to all,
but this is not true.
        I have recently read both the 'prophets' and 'reinvention of work'
books, and find them as thought provoking as the earlier ones. 'Creation
Spirituality' and 'the Cosmic Christ' have long been very influencial for
me, and often I try to make sense out of the 'Meister Eckhart' sermons.
Again, working on all of this alone is very rewarding, but can seem
frustrating when there are no others who really share the same goals.
Interestingly, I moved into the Episcopal Church from the Methodist when I
was a teenager over issues related to music (since I am an
organist/director) but have found many frustrations there also. A year or so
ago my wife and I retired from college teaching, the last four years of
which were spent as 'missionaries' sponsored by the United Church Board for
World Ministries of the UCC, now also associated with the Disciples of
Christ. That is how we got to the Philippines. It was a wonderfully freeing
experience for us, and I am sure that we gained far more than we were ever
able to give (although this is also true of our college teaching experiences
here in the States). All of this confirms my desire to learn more of the
concepts of Creation Spirituality and other related areas. Recently I have
found the last two books of Deepak Chopra, with their emphasis on mysticism,
very helpful, In fact, it is a 30 year interest in mysticism, which was even
introduced by a rector of the Episicopal Church in Oberlin in the 50's to
me, and then confirmed by the pastor of the Congregational Church in Battle
Creek in the 60's (who coincidentally [there may be no coincidences] was the
mentor of the rector in Oberlin previously) that made me especially open to
Fox's writings.
        Enough of my 'story'. Thanks again for a wonderful 'shot in the
arm'. I'll watch your page for more developments, but meanwhile send a note
along occassionaly if you have time.

Dan Byrens