[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Creation Spirituality

Enjoyed your page, even if it is a bit brief on the CS stuff.

I find an enjoyable amount of freedom in the Creation Spirituality
approach-- freedom to enjoy and affirm the pleasures of the flesh, freedom
to not fight the pains of life but to accept them as a part of the very
round experience of life we all seek, and the freedom to play with creative
and transforming possibilities in trying to combine the elements of life
into some kind of new "whole."

I think there are some pot-holes in the kind of free-wheeling eclecticism
one normally finds in CS circles. There are fundamental and important
differences in the worldviews of various world spiritualities. As a
post-modernist, I do value and respect both the diversity of views and the
power they have to constitute a reality. One can't mix and match, one from
Native American, one from Aboriginal Australian, two from the Buddha and a
saying from Gandhi. Those elements opnly make their sense within a context
that can't be violated without denuding the disparate elements of their
meaning.

CS helps we Christians to recover the roundness of our own tradition--and
for this, it is worthy of serious consideration by all (even those who
would disagree with it.) Allen Gibson, allen59@ramlink.net
"It is the imagination that gives shape to the universe."
Barry Lopez