[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SBTS and other seminaries

I appreciate your article and hoped you could be of further help.

My wife and I are planning to be career missionaries through the FMB.
When my wife finishes her nursing training (about a year), I'll head to
seminary to get my MDiv. Right now, Southeastern in NC and SBTS in
Louisville are the two schools I'm focused upon. Both have many good
points (both geographically and course-wise) but I really need to know
the conservative/liberal status of both. Of course nowadays everyone
claims to be conservative, so I was hoping you might give me some
feedback. Southeastern told a friend of mine (enrolled for this fall)
that of the SB seminaries, "they" were the most conservative. On the
other hand, I've heard that SBTS in Louisville has had some faculty
shakeup over this issue. I am relatively new to the Southern Baptists
(I'm an ex-Christian Church/Church of Christ). So here's my question:
1) In definable terms (e.g. univeralism, womens' role in the church,
miracles of Christ, etc.) how liberal or conservative are these two
schools?
2) As a moderate (tinged with both conservative & liberal tendencies),
how free would I be able to express my opinion at either school?

BTW, my pastor, Greg Bunch (he's real tall ;)), was at SBTS around the
same time as you (I believe). Know of him?

Thanks for your time- you may save me some grief.....

shannon parks